How to FTP Mainframe File onto ETL Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

synsog
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to FTP Mainframe File onto ETL Server

Post by synsog »

Hi Team,

I need to FTP a file from mainframe server to Datastage server using FTP Enterprise or FTP Plugin stage.

Can some one help me to understand, which of the above mentioned 2 stages is right choice ?

Also, it would be great if some one help me with Properties to be supplied or good documentation related to it.

Regards,
smm.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I've done this in past and I seem to recall it was a bit complicated getting all of host access settings correct so that a "pull" via FTP would work - the data itself was easy to copy once we finally got connectivity figured out. The best thing is to get a "hostie" who has used FTP before and together it will most likely get solved quickly.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Start with the FAQ at viewtopic.php?t=143596

The important part is to have a conversation with your host support and developer teams to get the details of your particular platform, operating system and security requirements. The FAQ is based on MVS-z/OS basics.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm of the opinion that you are better off having the host system FTP the file to you. Typically the simple and easy route and you don't have to use that darn metadata driven stage. Added bonus is that they should be able to automatically convert it to ASCII for you.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Craig, there are always trade-offs (just call me Mr. Obvious 8) ). My design requires using get in FTP Enterprise because it has the advantage of streaming the data directly into the job instead of landing a file on the server first. I have more than enough backups and recovery points to not need that file on the server in the vast majority of scenarios.

As they say, Your Mileage May Vary. :wink:
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

True. Another point to note is that we are required to archive the source files on our side (in spite of them still being there on the source, go figure) so "need" the phyical copy we get from having them FTP them over.

And yes, YMMV. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers