Is it possible to use data without creating intermediate obj

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bond88
Participant

Is it possible to use data without creating intermediate obj

Post by bond88 »

Hi,
I am working on a job which has nearly 250+ columns in target. All these columns are coming from so many tables. I have another job and which has also pretty much same number of columns and it is using some of the columns which are generated in previous job. I dont want to create any intermediate object in database. Is there anyway to use to those columns in second job? In another way by using which stage I can stage the data at some point in the job with out writing/creating an object/table. So that I can make another link at that point to create a new stream for my second job to use those columns.

Thank you,
Bhanu
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

If the data you wish to use in the second job can be created purely within the source database through joins/etc (i.e. no DataStage processing required), you or a DBA could possibly create a View which would return those columns and data.

If not, such as when some of the columns are created or manipulated by the first DataStage job, then you will need to stage the data somewhere so the second job can read it. That somewhere could be any valid target location--database table, parallel dataset, sequential file and so on--that the first job can write to.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is a good example of where a dataset should be used.