Finding Max and Min on varchar column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sriram_bcl
Participant

Finding Max and Min on varchar column

Post by sriram_bcl »

Can any one suggest how to find Maximum and Minimum on varchar column in Datastage 8.1
Sriram@BCL
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. Use an Aggregator stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sriram_bcl
Participant

Re: Finding Max and Min on varchar column

Post by sriram_bcl »

Thanks for the reply. I tried all the possibilities with Agg. We have incoming data contains like 'abcdefg' etc. we are facing issue in finding min and max on string. In server job using aggregator we are able to do. in PX i am not able to do it. Plz suggest
Sriram@BCL
jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jerome_rajan »

Please post the expected and the actual outputs.
Jerome
Data Integration Consultant at AWS
Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
sriram_bcl
Participant

Re: Finding Max and Min on varchar column

Post by sriram_bcl »

My iniput column contains
112A
112B
112C

My output should be Max(Column) i.e 112C
Sriram@BCL
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I just tried it and it would seem that the MAX() function of the aggregator stage is limited to numeric data in Parallel jobs.

Along similar lines to what Ray mentioned, use one stream for a sort and a remove duplicates (first or last, depending upon whether you want a min or a max value) to get the highest or lowest value of that field.
sriram_bcl
Participant

Post by sriram_bcl »

This problem persist in existing project. Combination of Sort and Remove duplicate did not work. We tried long time back but did not work.
Sriram@BCL
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That's quite odd, I did a test job earlier to see about the aggregator and had a functioning max() working using a sort and remove duplicates within 5 minutes. Perhaps you might want to revist your approach, and if you wish assistance here you might wish to post what you did and what the problem was.
venkateshrupineni
Participant

Post by venkateshrupineni »

u can do using only sort stage and sort the data in desc select first record using transformer stage (read transformer stage in sequential mode) and write constraint is @inrownum=1 if you need only one record.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a Preserve Type property (or some such name) in the Aggregator stage that allows it to work with string data, among other things.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.