Metadata import from Oracle 11g to Datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Metadata import from Oracle 11g to Datastage

Post by mandyli »

Hi

I am trying to import metadata from ORACLE 11g to Datastage via Connector import Wizard .

In oracle column defined as NUMBER (10) that means it equal to Datastage Integer. But when I import it is showing Decimal 10 instead of Integer.
NUMBER(10) .
Is this anything I have to change in setting ?

Thanks
Man
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need to adjust only your understanding. NUMBER(10) cannot be the same as Integer, because not every 10 digit number can be an Integer.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Thanks Ray.

but why it is convert into Decimal. I hope as per ORACLE NUMBER (10) stored 10 digit number.

Thanks
Man
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And so will a Decimal 10. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Well, if you use Orchetrate Schema to import the data NUMBER (10), then you get the "Integer" SQL type in your table definition. If you use Plug-in Meta Data to import the data, then you get the "Decimal" SQL type. So Oracle Connector is using the same thing as Plug-in.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ANSI standard SQL does not have a data type called NUMBER. Indeed, as far as I am aware, nor does any database apart from Oracle.

Oracle is... different.

In DataStage, the data types DECIMAL and NUMERIC are considered to be the same. There are only a couple of databases in which the nuances make these different; DataStage stores them in the same way. You can learn about DataStage data types in Chapter 2 of Parallel Job Developer's Guide.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Thanks Ray.

Why I am getting data-type conversation?

Thanks
Man
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Probably because Decimal precedes Numeric in an alphabetical list of data types.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Thanks Ray

So you are saying in oracle if defined as NUMBER and then if import into Datastage it will automatically convert into DECIMAL.

Is this correct ?

Thanks
Man
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not something I've done recently, but it certainly appears that way.

There's nothing to prevent you from adjusting the imported metadata, but you risk getting metadata mismatch warnings if you do.