data type change for date

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

data type change for date

Post by suryadev »

Hello,

My source data is like 7/5/2012 and I am trying to read it through sequential file where it complains that MM should be two digits there is only one digit for month.
So I read the records as varchar in the sequential file and then used a transformer to change the data type from string to date and gave the format.
Now the transformer throws a warning saying the MM has fewer characters and at the end I cannot see the date but only ******** can be seen.

Please suggest how do I change the date to 07/05/2012 to get rid of the warning and see the records properly or else is there any other way to make it work?

Thank you!
Thanks,
Surya
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

First of all, the sequential file stage (import operator) can read a variable length date format such as 7/5/2012. You just need to provide the proper format mask.

Secondly, the *s indicate that you messed up the string to date conversion. Post your exact derivation expression if you want someone here to help you fix it.

Mike
suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

The expression I gave is StringToDate(Out_Src.BRTH_DT,"%mm/%dd/%yyyy")

The warning which I see is Data string '4/2/2039' does not match format '%mm/%dd/%yyyy': the value for tag %mm has fewer characters than expected.

The records in the target look like ******* for the date field

Thank you!
Thanks,
Surya
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

You've not chosen a correct format string, as provided in the Date and Time Formats section of the product documentation.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

Thank you Mike and Jwiles

I gave the format StringToDate(Out_Src.BRTH_DT,"%m/%d/%yyyy")
The birth date format I see in the output of sequential file is 7/4/2012, so I gave the above expression as per the document.

I think the character warning went away but a differnt warning is seen
Conversion error calling conversion routine date_from_string data may have been lost

Please suggest do I need to change anything
Thanks,
Surya
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

That error is typically encountered when you attempt to convert an empty/null string or other invalid data. You should add some logic to handle empty and invalid data. Also, you may wish to examine the source data to know how clean (valid vs invalid values) it is.

The IsValid() function has been discussed many times in the forum here and is often used to check for valid dates prior to conversion.

Regards,
- james wiles

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I believe that format string will only work for single digit months / days like the 7/4 example posted but will have issues with dates like 10/4 or 7/25 or 11/16. The link James posted shows not only the valid format tags but also the options that are valid for them. Check out the "s" noted as it "indicates a numeric month of year field in which values can contain leading spaces or zeroes and be one or two characters wide" and shows usage examples.

Try it with both the month and day tags.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

That format string will work with both single and double digit months and days (at least as tested in 8.7), however it would not accept leading spaces in either without the additional options.

Regards,
- james wiles

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then it must be something they've smartened up in later releases as I don't recall that being the case in the past. 8)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

Thank you very much!

I used the below expression and the valid dates looks fine and I gave todays date for invalid dates.
If IsValid('date',StringToDate(Out_Src.BRTH_DT,"%m/%d/%yyyy")) =1 then StringToDate(Out_Src.BRTH_DT,"%m/%d/%yyyy") else StringToDate('12/6/2012',"%m/%d/%yyyy")

Data looks good in the target but the warnings did not go which says

Conversion error calling conversion routine date_from_string data may have been lost
Thanks,
Surya
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

You've misused the IsValid function. It should be used before a conversion, not after.

Mike
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

I would suggest the following:

Code: Select all

If IsValid('date',Out_Src.BRTH_DT,"%m/%d/%yyyy") =1 then StringToDate(Out_Src.BRTH_DT,"%m/%d/%yyyy") else svDefaultDate
To take that further with Craig's suggestion regarding format string options to allow leading spaces and zeros:

If IsValid('date',Out_Src.BRTH_DT,"%(m,s)/%(d,s)/%yyyy") =1 then StringToDate(Out_Src.BRTH_DT,"%(m,s)/%(d,s)/%yyyy") else svDefaultDate
where svDefaultDate is a Date stage variable initialized with

StringToDate('12/6/2012',"%m/%d/%yyyy")
Regards,
- james wiles

suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

Its working, thank you
Thanks,
Surya