Job runs for a long time and does not complete

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ujala
Participant

Job runs for a long time and does not complete

Post by ujala »

Hi all,
I imported job from windows server to linux server.After imports,i compile and run the job.

But the job is in long run state.It is not finished.There is no warnings.

I need solutions for above problem.
jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jerome_rajan »

I'm afraid there's absolutely nothing we can do to help you unless you provide more tangible information. What does your job do? What are its sources/targets. Are you performing joins? The context of your migration activity?

Just because you 'NEED' a solution doesn't mean you'll 'GET' a solution if you don't tell us the what problem you need the solution for.
Jerome
Data Integration Consultant at AWS
Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
ujala
Participant

Post by ujala »

Hi,
I developed a job in windows environment.The job have only source and target stage.I exported the jobs from windows environment and imported into linux environment.After imported into linux environment,I compile and run the job.But the job is in running state without any warning.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry but all you've done is restate what was in your original post without adding any details to it. And the devil is in the details. :(

Please try to answer the questions Jerome posted and anything else you can think of that may prove helpful.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In a situation like this it is often helpful to locate the "guilty" portion. Since hangs are most often in write stages, replace those in a copy of your job with simple "peek" stages and see if the job completes. If it does complete, narrow it down to the one offending stage and post details to this thread.
jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jerome_rajan »

I am also inclined towards a possible deadlock at the database (assuming of course that she's extracting/loading relational tables) due to open/abandoned connections. But unless she gives more data, it would be hard to put a finger on any solution.
Jerome
Data Integration Consultant at AWS
Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are ANY rows processed?
Does the job ever achieve Running status?
Are there any errors or warnings in the job log?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ujala
Participant

Post by ujala »

Hi,
Source have only one row.So Datastage Designer canvas shows 1 row fetching from source and passing into target stage.But the job is not complete still running state.There is no warning and error message in the job log.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What kind of stage is the target stage? What exactly is it programmed to do (for example Write Mode)?

If it's a database connector, are there any warnings generated in the database?

Do you have an after-job subroutine in your job design? If so, what does it do?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ujala
Participant

Post by ujala »

Hi,
Target stage is Sequential file.The job operation is fetching the one record from source and write into sequential file.
abhijain
Participant

Post by abhijain »

Have you tried replacing the Sequential file with peek stage for debugging and see, if it is showing your single record into director logs??
Rgrds,
Abhi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you trying to overwrite /dev/null file? This will take an infinite amount of time. You should only ever append to /dev/null.