variable length Sequential file issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

It's important to specify the operating system and file manager where your EBCDIC files are being written. The FAQ offers some general advice concerning writing to mainframe files, but without knowing your environment I can't know if it would be valid.

As a quick guess: allocate your destination file first, and send to it under the settings you will find in the FAQ. If my guess is correct, and you have a dataset catalog, this will ensure correct formatting of your data.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
Poornagirija
Participant

Post by Poornagirija »

Hi Frankline,
Thanks for your reply.

Our OS is AIX. I have read through your FAQ. This is myfirst requirment related with mainframe so I find it difficult to understand.

I have tried setting Record type = variable and format = VB in sequential stage .
I don't have clue how to indicate the actual record length?

Can you please help me on that?
With Regards,
Poornagirija.

"Don't limit your challenges - challenge your limits"
Poornagirija
Participant

Post by Poornagirija »

Hi,
When we approached IBM support team for this we came to know PX only supports VR on import and does not support variable record format on export .

Hopefully this will be fixed in DS v9.1.
With Regards,
Poornagirija.

"Don't limit your challenges - challenge your limits"
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

I'm glad you found your answer. I didn't reply again because I didn't know what to think of it.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872