info on ds log

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dslearner07
Participant

info on ds log

Post by dslearner07 »

Hi

Can anyone suggest why I am getting below info on DS log.

"APT_CombinedOperatorController,3: Numeric string expected . Use default value.
Numeric string expected . Use default value."

Thanks
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

Datastage expects a numeric value but it is finding a nonnumeric value. There could be multiple reasons like improper datatype converstions or function usage where the argument is expected to be a number etc.

Disable Operator combination by setting APT_DISABLE_COMBINATION=True and run the job, this will show you the exact transformer stage where the issue lies and then carefully look at the derivations and stage variable expressions and datatypes to identify the column having an issue.
- Zulfi
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Most often I see this error when taking a VarChar() column into an integer column and the string value in some records cannot be implicitly converted. This usually occurs in transform stages, but if you follow the instructions posted earlier regarding disabling operator combination in order to locate the stage with the problem.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This problem can also be seen in the final field of a text file record, where the line terminator is not properly handled so is being treated as part of the data (particularly DOS-style line terminators where the metadata are specifying UNIX-style).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.