Import AbInitio DML file to DataStage Metadata

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsnk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Import AbInitio DML file to DataStage Metadata

Post by dsnk »

We have some source files in our DataStage ETL from AbIntio upstream application. Now the source team is providing us the Metadata of these source files in the Abinito format files -- abc.dml.

Is there a way to import these files in Datastage. We are following very tedious way to look into the file format and abc.dml and manually preparing the metadata in Datastage. But this is very tedious and when it comes to conditional dml which has some complex metadata based on different conditions it is very difficult to interprete the metedata in Datastage.

Please advice us as this is so painful process of manual interpretation.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can you post a representative example of one?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

As someone that has worked extensively in both Ab Initio and DataStage, I was at one time thinking about building a dml to schema conversion utility. It would be fairly easy to quickly do a conversion utility to automate 90+% of the most common dml constructs.

Personally, I'd probably build a conversion utility rather than spending lots of hours on a manual conversion.

If it's a 1-time conversion, you'll want to weigh the manual conversion effort against the effort to create a utility.

I don't believe such a conversion utility exists, but it probably wouldn't hurt to ask IBM if they have one.

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check out Metadex from CompactBI. It does more than what you ask but, if you've got a lot of table definitions and maps to ingest, it may save you some work.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.