Dynamic Insert SQL Statement

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do their Rules require a hammer to fasten a screw? The idea here is to use the right tool for the task. In this case it's a sequence (and, preferably a server job to read the file).

You can update a values file of a parameter set directly, but you have to overwrite the entire file. You could do this with a job design that read from a values file, only changed it where the parameter name was the one you wanted to change, and wrote back to a file. Use before- and after-job subroutines to fiddle about with file names.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
joycerecacho
Participant

Post by joycerecacho »

ray.wurlod wrote:Do their Rules require a hammer to fasten a screw? The idea here is to use the right tool for the task. In this case it's a sequence (and, preferably a server job to read the file).

You can update a values file of a parameter set directly, but you have to overwrite the entire file. You could do this with a job design that read from a values file, only changed it where the parameter name was the one you wanted to change, and wrote back to a file. Use before- and after-job subroutines to fiddle about with file names.
Hi everybody.
It looks great! I'll try this solution!!!
;-)

I have a doubt about your comment above. Why is it preferable to use Server job than Parallel for this solution?

Tk you so much.

Best Regards,
Joyce A. Recacho
São Paulo/SP
Brazil
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's only one row to be processed by the job. Why start up a parallel job to process one row? Also, the interface to the user status area is much simpler in a server job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.