using long var char job failed, nvar job was successful

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

peep
Premium Member
Premium Member

using long var char job failed, nvar job was successful

Post by peep »

Hi I was running a job and it failed while data type is long varchar.

but it ran fine with nvar char data type.our database is DB2.

what are the differences between these two datatypes?

what point of view do i need to research to find out the root cause of this issue?

from datastage point of view or Database point of view?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's from neither point of view; it's from a METADATA perspective that you have this issue.

VARCHAR is your traditional, variable-length character string containing, typically, ASCII characters.

NVARCHAR is one way of specifying that the contained data are encoded using something other than a single-byte character set. For example it might be encoded using some form of Unicode such as UTF-8, or it might be encoded using a character-set-specific encoding such as BIG5 for Chinese.

What you have to get right is that they match between DataStage and the database. This is usually accomplished by importing the table definition and loading that into DataStage jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
peep
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by peep »

so u r saying it could be either from database or datastage rite.

varchar has ascii character

what abt nvar char?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Get yourself a premium membership so that you can read the whole of my answer, which does cover NVARCHAR data type.

You have also misinterpreted what I said, again (probably) because you can't see the entirety of my post.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.