Datatype conversions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Do the calculation in the job, not the SQL. That or talk to a SQL Server guru there to get the proper SQL syntax, whatever that may be.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The datatype "smalldatetime" in SQL-Server would be a DataStage datatype of "timestamp". One cannot just subtract one from the other and expect that the program knows you want the answer as an integer number of months (instead of days, or decimal fractions of a year, or minutes, or seconds).

Code: Select all

DaysSinceFromDate(TimeStampToDate(issue_dt),TimeStampToDate(expiry_dt))
Will give you the number of days between the two dates. From there you can compute the months.
bhasds
Participant

Post by bhasds »

Hi hargun,

You can try the below code which will calculate the difference between the issue_dt and expiry_dt, and give you the result as an integer.

Neg(MonthFromDate(issue_dt)- MonthFromDate(expiry_dt))
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... you are thinking that you can subtract the two month numbers regardless of the year? Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that.

Another game you can play, if you don't want to worry about how many days are in any given month, is to do some math on the components. Take the year and month from each date and compute the total number of months in it:

(year * 12) + month
Then subtract the two results.
-craig

hargun
Participant

Post by hargun »

bhasds wrote:

Neg(MonthFromDate(issue_dt)- MonthFromDate(expiry_dt))
hi ,

i have tried with this conversion but while compling the job getting the error of invalid converison from timestamp to date
hargun
Participant

Post by hargun »

Hi Arnd,

Can you provide the code that i can use in transformer to get the number of days and then compute the months
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

He did. At least for the "days" part, the month he left up to you.
-craig

hargun
Participant

Post by hargun »

Hi chullet,

i know he did for days being very new to datastage can you please provide the whole code .....
bhasds
Participant

Datatype conversions

Post by bhasds »

Hi Hargun,

The below code should work if you have timestamp in source.

Neg(MonthFromDate(TimestampToDate(update.IssueDate))- MonthFromDate(TimestampToDate(update.ExpiryDate)))
hargun
Participant

Re: Datatype conversions

Post by hargun »

Thanks for providing this solution.I appreciate.This resolves.....
bhasds
Participant

Datatype conversions

Post by bhasds »

Or

If you are using the ArndW's code then divide the output of ArndW's code by 30,assuming the number of days per month is 30 .

Neg(DaysSinceFromDate(TimeStampToDate(update.IssueDate),TimeStampToDate(update.ExpiryDate)))/30
hargun
Participant

Re: Datatype conversions

Post by hargun »

Hi bhasd
so both

Neg(MonthFromDate(TimestampToDate(update.IssueDate))- MonthFromDate(TimestampToDate(update.ExpiryDate
or

Neg(DaysSinceFromDate(TimeStampToDate(update.IssueDate),TimeStampToDate(update.ExpiryDate)))/30

Can you please advise on this i can use either one of them giving me the same result
bhasds
Participant

Post by bhasds »

Hi Hargun,

Both the code should give you the same result.So, its your wish which one to use.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, but you two need to test the posted code a little better if you think they both return the same result in all cases. Using the MonthFromDate() function is not the correct solution.
-craig

bhasds
Participant

Post by bhasds »

Hi ArndW/Chullet,

I am sorry for misleading hargun.In the above scenario the code given by me will give erroneous result. :(

Can you please tell whether the below modification in your code is fine to get the difference between the two dates in form of month?