Datastage 8.5 XML Stage Startup Time Issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ramsubbiah
Participant

Datastage 8.5 XML Stage Startup Time Issue

Post by ramsubbiah »

Hi Folks,

Currently we have started using new XML stage as it has new capabilities. but during the run time we have observed that new XML stage is taking more startup time than the XML input stage.

We have developed two jobs one with new XML stage and another job with old XML input stage. both job reads the same XML file but the job which has XML input stage is taking less time when compare to the job which has new XML stage. we have raised the PMR with IBM and currently IBM is investigating the issue.

please let me if anybody has faced this issue or its known behavior?
Thanks in Advance.
Ram
Knowledge is Fair,execution is matter!
ramsubbiah
Participant

Re: Datastage 8.5 XML Stage Startup Time Issue

Post by ramsubbiah »

Hi All,
Did anybody had a chance to look on this topic?

Thanks,
Ram
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've never faced this issue. I haven't had the chance to use the new XML stage yet. But I DID read your post. I read every post. When I have nothing to add, I usually add nothing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Same here.

And there is a 'Views' count outside in the forum listing, I could see that it had been viewed 55 times before I popped in here to add this, one of which was me reading it and not having anything to add. :(
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ramsubbiah
Participant

Post by ramsubbiah »

Hi Ray\Chulett,

Thank you for sparing your valuable time on my post. I will update you if we hear anything from IBM on upcoming weeks.

Thanks,
Ram
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Out of curiousity, what are the characteristics of the XML file in question? Is it... 'large'? 'Complex'? If so, do you have the same issue with a smaller, simpler version of the file?
-craig

ramsubbiah
Participant

Post by ramsubbiah »

The file is very small in size (200 KB). We observed the run time is same in both new XML stage and XML Input stage, only start-up is different.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

OK. Then it seems to me you need "inside information" to really understand what is going on here, so unless Ernie happens to wander by and add his expertise, we'll need to see what IBM Support has officially to say on the issue.
-craig

ramsubbiah
Participant

Post by ramsubbiah »

Hi Chulett,

Yes. IBM also agreed there is a startup time issue. currently engineering department looking in to this issue. I will update you once I hear anything from IBM guys.

Thanks,
Ram
dsedi
Participant

Post by dsedi »

Ram,
Please keep the community posted on this.. We are in the initial stage of using the xml's and this might have an impact on our work.

Any updates would be much appreciated. thanks
Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I'm confused....

Are you having issues with the opening of the Stage for Job Design and edit purposes?

...or issues with the execution at run time?

...and if it's opening the Stage, it absolutely is going to take longer...there's a whole new infrastructure underneath it, and the assembly editor, etc...

So --- if it's the opening of the Stage, then my next question is, does the delay occur when you build a new job? Does it happen with every job and every file and every xsd? ....or is it just this "one job" with the xml Stage...

REALLY HUGE xsd's can take awhile to load (usually for the Assembly). We're expecting changes in the future to help with this, but the suggestion I have for you if that's the case is to come up with lots of smaller xsd's.....subsets for just the document bits and pieces that you will be using for "this" Job.

...and if it's for new and empty Jobs, how long are we talking about?

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ramsubbiah
Participant

Post by ramsubbiah »

Hi,

I have started this thread only from the start up time perspective. recently we received the final update from IBM as follows

"The recommendation is that you use the new XML stage. The delay that occurs with the XML Stage is due to the start-up time as this Stage is now using the PX frame work. So if as an example you have 1000 files. the start-up time would be divided over the 1000 files.The start-up time is based at the time on the load you have on the server - the same as the DB2 Stages."

If anybody else has different views please share.
Thanks,
Ram
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

It doesn't sound like there was clear communication with support about your issue. XML "files" don't come into play with the Designer, unless they mean xsd's, and even then, it's a metadata issue not a parallel framework one. I think they are as confused as we are about the exact nature of the problem.

Didn't you already say that you are using the new Stage? The answer you received isn't making sense in the context of what you described up above.

Please respond to the questions I have above in the thread regarding the true comparison of start up time, where the start up time issue is (opening the stage, opening the assembly, doing something with the assembly, opening the library manager, etc.), and whether it is just on "the stage" in a brand new job with zero metadata, or only one job that you have been working on.

I suspect that your issue is happening with one particular job (or jobs that deal with one particular xsd), and the xsd is extremely large. That would entirely make sense....if that's the case, please confirm and we can talk about some potential alternatives.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>