How to propagate the change in table definition to all jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vishu19aug
Participant

How to propagate the change in table definition to all jobs

Post by vishu19aug »

Hi,

I have a situation, wherein i am extracting the data from a table into a staging file and doing the following -
1. I saved the table definition for this staging file.
2. This staging file is being used in 20 more jobs for different funcationalities.
3. All these 20 jobs are reading the file with the saved table definition.
4. If i need to change one field in the table definition, do i need to the update all 20 jobs to change the table definition. Is there a way it can be updated in all the jobs dynamically.

Any Help will be appreciated much!!
Thanks,
Vishal Gupta
sreewin7
Participant

Re: How to propagate the change in table definition to all j

Post by sreewin7 »

Hi Vishal,

A quick question, what ever the changes you are doing in the Table definiation , The changes requires in all your jobs are you changing only for particular job.

Depend up on your answer , me or some one will help you.

Thanks & Regards,
Sree
vishu19aug
Participant

Re: How to propagate the change in table definition to all j

Post by vishu19aug »

If i change the sql type of a field from varchar 20 to varchar 30 and my subsequent job does not need this field. In this case if i change the table definition my subsequent job will require changes even if i am not using the field in the job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is nothing fully automatic, because it is not necessarily the case that every job will need to be changed. For example, a stage that selects particular columns from a table may not need to select the newly-added columns at all.

The correct approach is to perform a where used analysis on the table definition to identify the jobs that use it, then to investigate these jobs to determine whether they need to be updated. If they do, it's a manual process to edit the design, recompile and test.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.