Datastage with Cassandra Database

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sivatkv
Participant

Datastage with Cassandra Database

Post by Sivatkv »

Hi,

Has anyone tried connecting Cassandra Database in Datastage 8.0.1.

If so what is the procedure?

Could anyone let me know about this.
Regards,
Siva
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Cassandra is a NoSQL database and does not have ODBC or JDBC drivers so the standard way of connecting via DataStage is not available. Cassandra has an API in Java, C++ or .Net. You may find a way to retrieve data by using the DataStage Java Pack and calling Cassandra Java routines as the source of data. You could also try a DataStage SOA job if you buy the Services Director and access the .Net layer.

I would get off version 8.0.1 and move to 8.7 as quickly as possible. A lot of improvements between these releases. If you have Hadoop running over Cassandra you can use the new DataStage Hadoop stage in 8.7 and access the data through Hadoop jobs.
Sivatkv
Participant

Simba or Dataflex???

Post by Sivatkv »

Hi,

I found that a 3rd party ODBC driver is available to connect to Cassandra -- SIMBA and DATAFLEX.

Any idea on this please?

http://www.simba.com/build-big-data-dat ... 6wodhC8nvw
Regards,
Siva
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If it's compatible with the DataDirect driver manager you should be OK.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sreewin7
Participant

Post by sreewin7 »

I am not sure how far I am correct on this.

I never worked on this database , but as per my knowledge we dont have any stage to connect to this db, you can write small script to connect through datastage.

call the script in the executive command stage.

If any one have good idea on this please correct me.

Thanks
Sree
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You can install your own ODBC driver onto the DataStage server and try connecting to that through the DataStage ODBC stage. You will need to register it in the .odbc.ini file on the DataStage engine. Looks like these solutions have some type of server engine for converting the SQL so there may be an installation process on the DataStage server. The drawback on these may be price, support and performance.