Need to Implement Null Handling in a RCP job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

creatingfusion
Participant

Need to Implement Null Handling in a RCP job

Post by creatingfusion »

I have a job wherein the RunTime Column Propagation is enabled.
The job is designed as under:

Dataset -----> Fileset.

The Dataset, Fileset names are path passed as parameters.
And the metadata is propagated at runtime using RCP.

Now the Dataset passed have four columns
A (Integer 5)
B (Integer 5)
C (Decimal 9)
D (Decimal 9)
among which A and B are not null while C and D are nullable.

The dataset has zero rows. When i execute the job get the following warnings on the not null fields as shown below.

Fileset: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "C": "null_field" length (1) must match field's fixed width (9)
Fileset: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "C": "null_field" length (1) must match field's fixed width (9)

In the RCP Job I have defined the Null Field value as ' ' and padding char as space in the fileset format properties.

Please let me know how to get rid of the warnings. The job is intended to read different files with varying metadata.
Last edited by creatingfusion on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
vamsi.4a6
Participant

Post by vamsi.4a6 »

Just try with Null Field value as ' '[give 9 spaces] instead of ' '[1 space]
creatingfusion
Participant

Post by creatingfusion »

Thanks but -
Require generic approach - 9 space would be specific to the metedata here in input but the input dataset can have varied number of columns and varying metadata.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

You could use a modify stage with a parameterized specification statement, using the handle_null() function as documented in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide, which is included with Information Server and is also available online. Each nullable column will require handle_null() call;

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

Obviously you have got a problem with your column-definitions within the schema-file.
You specified your column as CHAR(9) or the file itself as fixed-length, but your NULL-Value is not long enough. Specify a NULL-Value of correct length within the schema-file or specify the file/the column as of variable length.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon