Transformer with Long constraint stays in running state

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

josejohny
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by josejohny »

Hi,

Below is the sample transformer constraint which is stays running state in datastage 8.5.
((PARAMETER1='EOD' or PARAMETER1='ME') And RIGHT(IN_LINK.COLUMN1,3)='EOD' ) OR (PARAMETER1='SOD' And RIGHT(IN_LINK.COLUMN1,3)='SOD') OR ((PARAMETER1='ID1' or PARAMETER1='ID2') And RIGHT(IN_LINK.COLUMN1,3)<>'SOD' and RIGHT(IN_LINK.COLUMN1,3)<>'EOD')

Please have a look and all your ideas are valuable.

Regards
Jose
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... I honestly don't see how having any kind of a "long" or complex constraint would cause a job to hang as you are seeing. I'm thinking there must be something else going on but not really sure what.

Have you tried setting the constraint to something simple like @TRUE or @FALSE to see if that "fixes" it? The latter would allow it to run to completion without affecting anything on the target side.

I'd also be curious if the monitor shows any activity on any of the stages.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use a stage variable to extract the rightmost three characters, so you only need to do that calculation once. Maybe another two stage variables to evaluate equality with 'EOD' and 'SOD' respectively.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

That's not too long of a contstraint. What have you tried to narrow down the problem?

Is there absolutely nothing in the job log at all after you start running the job?

Do you by chance have a database stage with a query that is taking a very long time to execute?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
josejohny
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by josejohny »

Hi,
Job is giving below warning and Fatal error"xxx_Tfm,1: sh: dbx: not found".
xxx_Tfm,0: Operator terminated abnormally: received signal SIGSEGV
But job is still in running condition.

Sorry,the issue is not with long constraint. As suggested I tried to use stage variable for trimming right most 3 characters. Then job ran fine.

Issue is due to multiple use of right function. With below constraint also job failing.

RIGHT(POS_Lnk. COLUMN1,3)='EOD' or RIGHT(POS_Lnk. COLUMN1,3)='SOD'

Sole issue is not resolved ,why multiple right function is giving error?.

Regards
Jose
Thanks & Regards
Jose Johny
Project Engineer
Wipro Technologies |Bangalore
"Life is a process of cultivating goodness & removing evilness"