Issue with Surrogate Key Generator

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ankursaxena.2003
Participant

Issue with Surrogate Key Generator

Post by ankursaxena.2003 »

Hi,

I am facing issue with Surrogate Key Generator Stage.
Let me first describe my goal before showing the problem.
Goal: Get the Max value from Database and write it to Surrogate Key file.

Scenario:
When I run it for the first time I should get value 1 in the Surrogate Key file as the table is empty in DB. And I am getting 1 in Surrogate Key file. Lets say that today I load 35 records in table. So, my Surrogate Key will start tomorrow from 36.
Tomorrow I have 40 records to be loaded into table. So, the Surrogate Key will point to 76.
On the Third day I have to load 90 records but for some reason after loading 50 records, the job aborts. So, I need to delete all the 50 records from the table and I need to change my Surrogate Key to 76 because if I don't do a roll back then I will miss Surrogate Keys from 76 to 125. So, I need to delete the 50 records in the table and get the max value from table.

Problem:
So, when I run the job to get the max Surrogate Key in table for the 1st time I read it as below:

$ od X.sk
0000000 000000 000000 000000 000001 000000 000000 000000 000001

But, when I try to see the Surrogate File after couple of runs. I see 2 records as shown below:

$ od X.sk
0000000 000000 000000 000000 000001 000000 000000 000000 000603
0000020 000000 000000 000000 000605 000000 000000 000000 000605

And I read other forums, so I am running the job in Sequential Mode.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't worry about what's in the state file. Just use the Surrogate Key generator stage. It knows what's in the state file and how to use and maintain it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ankursaxena.2003
Participant

Ray - Thanks for the reply. State File is not the Primary Problem.
The primary problem is that when I run the job 3rd time and it aborted after 50 inserts. So, I went and deleted those 50 records from table. And while trying to reset the Surrogate Key to 76, it doesn't start from 76 instead it starts from 126(But, I checked that it reads 76 as MAX value from on table). So, I am loosing 50 counts from 76 to 125.

And lets say that again while running the job it aborts after 40 inserts into table. And I again try to update the Surrogate Key. It won't reset it to 76, instead the next time it starts from 166.
sreewin7
Participant

Post by sreewin7 »

I worked same sort of senario in server ,but i never used in parellel as per my knowledge on parellel, Try to check the table option, without commiting the table the records will not insert into table and i hope the below may be helpful to you.

viewtopic.php?p=246588&sid=10b93f18d9e9 ... 838a372fe7

Thanks
Sree

[quote="ankursaxena.2003"]Ray - Thanks for the reply. State File is not the Primary Problem.
The primary problem is that when I run the job 3rd time and it aborted after 50 inserts. So, I went and deleted those 50 records from table. And while trying to reset the Surrogate Key to 76, it doesn't start from 76 instead it starts from 126(But, I checked that it reads 76 as MAX value from on table). So, I am loosing 50 counts from 76 to 125.

And lets say that again while running the job it aborts after 40 inserts into table. And I again try to update the Surrogate Key. It won't reset it to 76, instead the next time it starts from 166.[/quote]
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Are you setting the FileInitialValue property of the surrogate key file using max key value from database ( can be passed as a job parameter from the formatted output of an Command activity stage in Sequencer ) ?

Whats is the block size of the surrogate key sequence ? User defined or system selected ? If you set it to 1 using user defined , you will get the next value as 76 or 77 , and i see no reason to run the job or stage in sequential mode exclusively for the surrogate key stage to generate sequential values ( unless its a problem with the final target stage )
ankursaxena.2003
Participant

@Sreewin7 - Thanks for your reply. But, my concern is not about loading into target table. My concern is that I should be able to reset the value in the Surrogate Key file. At the 5th attempt the Surrogate Key reads from 166 instead of starting from 76.
ankursaxena.2003
Participant

@Rameshrr3 - Let me show you my job structure.
Step1:
The below structure is in a separate job for resetting the Surrogate Key.
Reading from Oracle Table ------------------> Surrogate Key Generator

Options in Surrogate Key Generator
Input Column Name - XYZ
Key Source update Action - Create and Update
Source Name - File_Path/File_Name
Source Type - Flat File

Step2:
And when I am using the Surrogate Key File in the actual job. It has the below structure.
------------> Surrogate Key Generator ------------> Writing to Oracle Table

Options in Surrogate Key Generator
Generated Output Column Name - XYZ
Source Name - File_Path/File_Name
Source Type - Flat File
File Block Size - User Specified
User Specified Block Size=1
Generate Key from Last Highest=Yes

when ever the job aborts while loading into Table, I delete all the records loaded in Table and run Step-1 to reset the Surrogate Key to previous day. And Step-2 is the actual logic which is used for assigning Surrogate Key to each record.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

You don't need 2 jobs ( even though some recommend it ) . If you can reset the file Initial value in your dimension job ( using the max value from database key column ) , it will work as good. ( Im suggesting a better approach with fewer jobs ) . I think you may be having an issue updating your surrogate key state file in Step#1 . Does Job 1 run in sequential mode when it creates/updates the surrogate key state file ?

Also Check if the setting

Code: Select all

Generate Key from Last Highest=Yes
is really necessary. It may be the source of your problem to start with
ankursaxena.2003
Participant

I have choosen 2 Jobs but I am not going to run Step-1 daily. I will run Step-1 only if there is some issue while loading into table.

And yes the Job-1 runs in sequential mode. I am not creating the Surrogate Key file. I am just updating it whenever I want to reset the Surrogate Key. I checked my Job-1 and it has 'Generate Key from Last Highest' set to 'Yes'. And I also checked that when I pull the data from Table it is coming correct. But, for some reason it is not able to update Surrogate Key file.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Using DOS Commands can you delete and recreate the state file everytime if you need to use job #1 ? and then try to update its value from database ?

You can use ExecDOS to delete the old state file. I guess the surrogate Key generator stage itself can create the file . I hope you are using the same state file in both jobs.
ankursaxena.2003
Participant

This is the back-up plan which I have. According to that whenever I want to reset the Surrogate Key file, I delete it and re-create it. And at that time it works fine.
But, I am sure there should be some way of updating the Surrogate Key file without deleting.

And I checked that I am using the same state file in Job-1 and Job-2.