write-through cache datasets

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

just4u_sharath
Premium Member
Premium Member

write-through cache datasets

Post by just4u_sharath »

what does write-through cache dataset mean? I came across this in IBM book.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Which book? What is the context? I did not find the term using a search against the Information Center
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
just4u_sharath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4u_sharath »

Following is the link to the pdf
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247830.pdf
chapter2: topic 2.2.1
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, in that scenario "write-through cache" is similar to "staging area". The target Data Set is used as a holding area for data to be loaded into a table that is also being used as a source by the job, to avoid locking issues. Data Sets are ideal for this role because, unlike other mechanisms, they store data in exactly the same format as is used within DataStage - indeed, if you examine the score the operator used to read or write a Data Set is copy (the in-memory data set is simply copied to or from the on-disk structure).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.