Tool / Technique to convert Connectors to use Parameter Set

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Tool / Technique to convert Connectors to use Parameter Set

Post by MT »

Hi,

we are in the process of migrating from DataStage 7.5 to DataStage 8.5 and we plan to use the Connectors (via the Connector Migration Tool).

It would be useful in my eyes to change the Connector stages afterwards to use parameter sets.
Is there a tool (or job or whatever) that can help to change the old parameters (or hard coded stuff) to parameter set values?
As manual task this would be quite a lot of work....

Thanks in advance
best regards
Michael
regards

Michael
ulab
Participant

Post by ulab »

Hi Michael,

I don't think there is a technique to convert the params into parameter set, I'm sure you aware of this

just copu the DSParam file from old version to new version and they crete a parameter set with the existing params,

please let me know if you need more information on this.
Ulab----------------------------------------------------
help, it helps you today or Tomorrow
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi ulab

I think you got me wrong -
the point is not the creation of a parameter set it is about the usage
within the Connector stages.
To change a connector from hard coded or global parameters to parameter sets you have to open the connector and change at least the database name, user and password to point to the paramter set after you have added the parameter set to your job
This is a lot of work if you plan to do it manually for thousands of connector stages...
This is what I want to automate.

best regards
Michael
regards

Michael
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Still doesn't really change the base answer, which is no - there isn't any automatic way or tool to do this. However, that doesn't mean you couldn't build one... I'd look into taking a dsx export of a job before and after this 'conversion' process to see what is all involved and then see if you can script something to do that on a dsx export of the project.

This 'script' could also be a Server job / routine as well, lots of good string handling functionality there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi chulett

yes I agree but maybe someone has done it already and I do not need to invent the "wheel" again...

thanks
regards

Michael