Unicode conversion failed

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

goriparthi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Unicode conversion failed

Post by goriparthi »

Hi All,

i have a DRS stage that is used for extracting data from sql server , couple of the columns are declared as nvarchar in the sql server database. i tried to define them as varchar and unicode as extended in the DRS stage but am receiving this error "[IBM(DataDirect OEM)][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Unicode conversion failed".
For a similar problem with another job i defined datatype as varchar and data element as Sql.guid and it worked but this time even this is not working.

can anyone please shed some light on this.

Thanks
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I would speak with teh DBA to determine exactly what the character set is.
I would use datastage to vetch the table definitions and use that vs something hand coded.

Ensure your stage and job are using the same character set the data is using.
adityavinay
Participant

Re: Unicode conversion failed

Post by adityavinay »

I faced the same issue but with teradata. I changed NLS to ASCL_ISO8859-1 instead of (UTF-8) and it worked...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

adityavinay wrote:I faced the same issue but with teradata. I changed NLS to ASCL_ISO8859-1 instead of (UTF-8) and it worked...
Can you explain why it worked?
Can you be sure that it is a generic fix, or just a workaround?
Are you aware that there are 12 parts to ISO8859 ?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
goriparthi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by goriparthi »

Hi All,

The work around was replaced the DRS stage that was being used to read the data to a ODBC Connector and re-imported the metadata, had to import the metadata partially(10 at a time or so) but it worked.

Thanks