Use Virtual dataset as reference in lookup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deepa.y
Participant

Use Virtual dataset as reference in lookup

Post by deepa.y »

Hi,
I have a job to take data from source ,lookup on a dataset,if no corresponding entry is present,append that record to same dataset by assigning an unique index to it so that the dataset have unique records..
My job looks as

Code: Select all

dataset
                |
seq_file---->lookup---->dataset
When i execute the job,i am getting the following error.
Operator initialization: A link between two operators should be named with a .v; insert a copy operator to save a persistent copy of the data

I read some posts and understood that same dataset cannot be used more than once in a job and instead can use virtual dataset.
I am unaware of how to create virtual dataset and please let me know how can i implement it in the above scenario.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The virtual data set is created and indexed automatically (by the LUT_CreateOp operator in the score). You don't have to worry about it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rahcomp
Participant

Re: Use Virtual dataset as reference in lookup

Post by rahcomp »

If you are not contsrained with using just a single job
then preferable solution would be writing values in some intermediate dataset in JOB 1

and in JOB 2 , Intermediate dataset data can be appended to Required dataset.
Rahul
DS Lover