Stage Variable NOT Stored Correctly

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gainfomart
Premium Member
Premium Member

Stage Variable NOT Stored Correctly

Post by gainfomart »

:oops: I am very green for the DataStage and I have just 2 days experiences for the DataStage.

I have been advised by my team-mates for having Stage Variable. However, he is out of town and I have to solve this problems within 3 days. But the Stage Variable which seems to be never stored.

I have captured most of the tasks imposed during my trials.

Step 1 - Sort Stage

Step 2 - Transformer Stage

Learning everyday is a must for everyone...
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

When is that guy coming back? Will he? ;)
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

:D

Yes you can do it with stage variables, you need to define a few stage variables.

Stage Variable=Derivation
svPrevTime=svCurrTime
svCurrTime=<input col>.Time_Chk
svPrevKey=svCurrKey
svCurrKey=<input col>.key1:'~':key2
svTimeDiff=compare the time here.
svConstraintYN=if svPrevKey=svCurrKey and timediff<30 then 'N' else 'Y'

then put a constraint as svConstraintYN='Y'

you need to make sure that svPrevTime and svPrevKey is defined above/before svCurrTime and svCurrKey respectively. you can use the exact order as i defined above.

Stage variables are executed sequentially from top to bottom and the same principal is being exploited here to store the last value.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Welcome to DataStage!

Parallel jobs have a lot of date and time functions built in. They are documented in the appendix of the Parallel Job Developer's Guide. You should have it on your client as a PDF under the Start menu... documentation icon. Check out this one for comparing two timestamps:

SecondsSinceFromTimestamp()
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
vamsi.4a6
Participant

Post by vamsi.4a6 »

priyadarshikunal wrote:Yes you can do it with stage variables, you need to define a few stage variables.
I have few doubts with respect to above post.

1)what is the intial value of svCurrTime and svCurrKey stage variables?If i did not mention anything in stage variables tab what values it will take after processing first record from input?

2)Is it necesary to mention intial values in the above requirement?

2)can i run the transformer stage in parallel mode in the above requirement?
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

vamsi.4a6 wrote:I have few doubts with respect to above post?
1)what is the intial value of svCurrTime and svCurrKey stage variables?If i did not mention anything in stage variables tab what values it will take after processing first record from input?
0 for integer and empty for varchar and so on. in stage variable tab you will see initial value column, define it there. as the stage variables can not be null.

2)Is it necesary to mention intial values in the above requirement?

Null should not be or better to say cannot be assigned to a stage variable.

2)can i run the transformer stage in parallel mode in the above requirement?

Yes if your data is partitioned. this will remove the records for the same key which came within 30 mins.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

Your primary fault is in your partitioning, you do not want to include chk_time in your partition as that may cause the two records to go down different lines.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Regarding sorting and partitioning in your job:

1) DON'T select "Perform Sort" on the partitioning tab for the input link of a SORT stage. There are a few specific cases where this is useful (yours is not one of them!) and in most cases this is a waste of resources and reduces throughput.

2) Assuming that your transformer is immediately after your sort stage, you don't need to select "Perform Sort" in the input link of the transformer...you have just sorted the file and there is no need to sort it again.

3) As already mentioned in this thread, you shouldn't use the time field as a partition key...it will keep your logic from working correctly

4) Allow your transformer to run in parallel execution mode and set partitioning on the transformer to either Auto or Same...in this case, Same would probably be the better choice. You partitioned the data at the Sort stage and don't need to repartition it for your transformer.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
gainfomart
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gainfomart »

Thanks for your hints. It has been solved. My mate has also suggested me be aware about time functions. For example, "MinutesFromTime" is just for minute and it should be converted by hours + minutes...

Also, catering for cross-date transaction is needed.

Before the end of the reply, I would like to raise my thanks to all of you.
Learning everyday is a must for everyone...
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

isn't it the time to say what solution worked for you and mark the topic resolved :?:
Priyadarshi Kunal

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

gainfomart wrote:For example, "MinutesFromTime" is just for minute and it should be converted by hours + minutes...

Also, catering for cross-date transaction is needed.
If you use the SecondsSinceFromTimestamp() function that I mentioned above, then I think you can avoid doing it "the hard way" (checking across hours and across days at midnight). By definition, the function "Returns the number of seconds between two timestamps." One check and you're done!
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius