Exporting a job with warnings

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

TonyInFrance
Premium Member
Premium Member

Exporting a job with warnings

Post by TonyInFrance »

Good morning all,

I am exporting a DSEE 8.5 job which on execution is returning a few warnings on my development environment. I cannot evade these warnings and thus I am demoting these warnings to informational status in my director module.

However on exporting this job to another server these warnings reappear. is there anyway I can export these jobs taking into account warnings that shouldn't show up in yellow?

Thanks

S. BASU
Tony
BI Consultant - Datastage
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

NO.. unless you define the message handler in the target environment...

You can't achieve this while exporting the jobs ;)
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by TonyInFrance »

By 'define the message handler in the target environment' you mean I have to run the job in the target environment and physically convert the warnings to informational status just as I did in my dev.?

Or is there any other way to 'define the message handler in the target environment'?
Tony
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Exporting a job with warnings

Post by ray.wurlod »

BASU wrote: I cannot evade these warnings
You're not trying hard enough.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

BASU wrote:Or is there any other way to 'define the message handler in the target environment'?
One well known way is to do copy & paste.. Open both source & trarget message handler windows and do a copy/paste ;)

One another way is also there....
Kandy

Post by kandyshandy »

You can also open a new thread with the warnings you are getting...
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by TonyInFrance »

I know what you mean Ray and I'll be honest with you. This is not exactly my development. I have simply been given this as an exercise and I need to come up with a solution. Ths eradicating the warnings, thus nipping the issue in the bud is not a solution.

As for the 2 solutions by kandyshandy, I confess that I don't understand very well what to do.

I have added the warnings to my message handler i.e. local runtime handler' for my job as well as added a new handler. How do I export these messages also as part of my DSX so that the target server knows that these warnings shouldn't appear in yellow?
Tony
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

I posted a detailed reply and i could not see it here. God.. should i type it again? Let me make it simple..

Source Env -> DataStage Designer/Director -> Message Handler Manager/Management -> copy ->
{paste in Message Handler Manager/Management of target environment} -> save it ;) -> close it.
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by TonyInFrance »

I can go upto Source Env -> DataStage Designer/Director -> Message Handler Manager/Management ->
I don't get an option to copy anything.

To be specific its Source Env -> DataStage Designer/Director -> TOOLS -> Message Handler Management

This is specific for each job.

Once we open this there is an option to SAVE Message Handler / Save Message Handler As

So where / how can I implement the copy paste method?

Regards
Tony
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Basu, did you ever create a message handler in source environment? If yes, when you open message handler manager from designer, you will see a drop down list which lists out all available message handlers. If you don't any see in the drop down list, that means you don't have a message handler for that environment.

Once you select one from the drop down list, you can see corresponding message ids, action etc.
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by TonyInFrance »

Alright, I am adding the message I want to suppress from my log / demote to informational status to my message handler under a new name. Now when I run this job the earlier warning does not come up in yellow. However once I export this job, how do I ensure that in the target environment the same warning is also handled in the same way as in the source environment?
Tony
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Oops.. That's what i explained in my previous replies. :shock:
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by TonyInFrance »

That's exactly where I'm stuck. There is no option to copy once I locate the message handler that I've saved. Thus I don't see how I can copy paste to the target environment.
Tony
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

I don't know what else i can do... Wait for someone who can paste a screen shot here.. Will that happen ever?

Meanwhile, Why don't you read DS documentation to get this resolved?
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

If it is a project level message handler then there are 2 things you need to do.

you need to copy .msh file from <installation directory>/MessageHandlers

so now you have the message handler in the target system now you need to configure the project to use it, so in administrator select that message handler. (you can copy DSParams as well but then you may need to change quite a few parameters there)
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink: