Director warning Implicit conversion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

LittelTony
Participant

Director warning Implicit conversion

Post by LittelTony »

Hi all,
i've following warning running a job with the Director:
"Implicit conversion from source type "decimal[38,10]" to result type "decimal[3,0]": Possible range/precision limitation" located in the initial OCI.
The OCI is binded to a View with a join and, in this case, we noticed that metadata of number fields are not recognized properly.
The original datatype was number (3,0) but with the join become number () and Director consider those fields as (38,10) so it is warning.
We tried to put a cast into the View to force metadata to be Number (3,0) but it's still warning.

Any help to remove those warnings would be appreciated

Thanks

Tony
chandra.shekhar@tcs.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chandra.shekhar@tcs.com »

You can use message handler property available in director.
Thanx and Regards,
ETL User
LittelTony
Participant

Post by LittelTony »

chandra.shekhar@tcs.com wrote:You can use message handler property available in director.
If i understood well, in that case every time i have this warning it'll be removed from log also when it's involving other jobs (not ONLY this).
pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pandeesh »

Hi,
the best practice is fixing the real issue rather than avoiding them by using message handler.
In your case try to use the function

Code: Select all

DecimalToDecimal()
so that you can avoid the warning,.
pandeeswaran
pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pandeesh »

LittelTony wrote: If i understood well, in that case every time i have this warning it'll be removed from log also when it's involving other jobs (not ONLY this).
That depends on the type of message handler, whether Project level or Job level
pandeeswaran
LittelTony
Participant

Post by LittelTony »

pandeesh wrote:Hi,
the best practice is fixing the real issue rather than avoiding them by using message handler.
In your case try to use the function

Code: Select all

DecimalToDecimal()
so that you can avoid the warning,.

I thought that but the warning is in the initial OCI so i can't put any transformer before...
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Have you tried making the metadata match what's actually coming out of the first OCI stage? You can change the data type after that stage to something that you really want.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

What Eris said is correct. You should stick to that 38,10 in OCI and do the length change in downstream transformer. ** No need for an explicit conversion in this case.
Kandy

Post by ray.wurlod »

I would be very concerned to verify that every single source value (irrespective of its metadata) could be shoehorned into the target data type. I'd be throwing an IsValid() check in there somewhere.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.