Sequentioal File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dudam
Participant

Sequentioal File

Post by dudam »

Hi to all

I want to load 10 million records in to Sequential File ...
how many ways we load and which way can take very less time
(which options are available for above scenario in seq file)

Plz help me any one

Thanks in Advance

:D
DN
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

What is your data source?

You could place a column export stage in front of the sequential file stage to export your columns into one varchar column with the proper column delimiters (assuming your seqfile is text only), then write the one column with the sequential file stage using the proper record delimiter.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

10 million records in a sequential file may take 4 seconds. How much less time do you need?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

And of course the other question to ask is: What have you tried?

Sequential File stage alone may provide the performance needed to meet your business requirements/SLAs. The only benefit of my earlier suggestion is if your file is quite large in terms of volume (number of bytes)--it could parallelize the conversion of your data into the output format, whereas Sequential File stage would do so only sequentially.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Your sequential write speed is primarily going to be governed by your disk hardware... if you're not keeping the output buffer full, then you need to look at upstream processing... otherwise it's a matter of upgrading to hardware with a higher data transfer rate.

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sequential File stage actually uses STREAMS I/O, so should not be much of a bottleneck in the export operator. As noted, the problem may be in your disk system itself.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

OK, then, try out your job, and if it doesn't finish in 2 seconds, let us know. :lol:
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius