Fragmented MBCS character error when loading to iSeries DB2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rjhankey
Premium Member
Premium Member

Fragmented MBCS character error when loading to iSeries DB2

Post by rjhankey »

I'm pulling in data from an AIX DB2 instance, and loading another iSeries DB2 instance, and am encountering warning messages that I have fragmented MBCS characters in the data.

SQL0191N Error occurred because of a fragmented MBCS character.

Invalid character(s) ([xE6][xA0]) found converting string (code point(s): Warning: TST_DEM_EIW_CUSTOMER_STG.EIW_CUST_STG_TST: CUST_NAME = [xE7][x8B][xAC][xE7][xAB][x8B][xE8][xA1][x8C][xE6][x94][xBF][xE6][xB3][x95][xE4]...) from codepage UTF-8 to Unicode, substituting.

I've tried various options such as different NLS maps, and removing the "Unicode" settings on the source and target column definitions, with the same results.

When I run the query on my PC, I see arrow symbols appearing in the customer name, which I'm guessing are the characters that DB2 is complaining about. When I run the query through the AIX interface, I see ^Z characters in vi.

One of our other DataStage developers encountered something similar in the past, and he abandoned DS and created a job natively on the iSeries DB2 instance. I'm thinking there must be something I can change in the DS job to get this running?

I could set up a message handler to ignore these warnings, but I'd like to see if there isn't something else I could do to load and/or ignore these characters that are coming in.

Thanks in advance!

-Russ
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I agree not to use a message handler. It's always better to figure out the root cause if you have time. It's been a very long time since I dealt with DB2 on AS/400. I don't know the answer, but I remember having to experiment with DB2CODEPAGE settings and CCSID settings. Hopefully someone here already knows the answer, but those are some things to search on.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
rjhankey
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rjhankey »

I haven't given up hope on this one yet, but did put a message handler in place to suppress the values that are coming in and failing, so I can at least load those values that don't have the error.

I'm definitely open to any and all new suggestions or ideas though!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Hmm... Ctrl+Z is Char(26), or code point 0x1A. This is the DOS end-of-file character. Might the problem be related to ASCII transfer of text files from Windows to Unix at some point in their history? Or copy/paste from a Windows application into a DB2 application? (Just clutching at another straw here.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rjhankey
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rjhankey »

Looks like I've solved this one -- I've learned to set the length of the character fields to twice as much as it seems like I would need, and I believe this is due to the double-byte characters that are present. So if I'm receiving a 100-character field, I actually need to define it as varchar(200), and that seems to resolve the errors about fragmented characters. That's a little painful for the comments field that tend to come in as 2000+ characters, but the error messages no longer appear.