change capture & change apply

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

change capture & change apply

Post by karthi_gana »

All,

I have created some test jobs for change capture and change apply stages. It works fine. But i just used some dummy data to get familiar with these 2 stages. I am eager to know where exactly these two stages will help the business. is it possible to give some real life usage of these 2 stages?

Inputs are welcome!
Karthik
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Detecting changes is a very common requirement, particularly when handling slowly changing dimensions.

The ability to re-build a data set from a before-image and captured change data is important in recovery situations.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Imagine an unfriendly data source that is unable to provide you only the delta records each day or each week. You could extract all the records, possibly even quickly, from the source.

Then use the Change Capture stage to detect the delta records. You can insert/update/delete the target database with only the deltas, saving lots of time.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius