How to encrypt and decrypt a file in datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

partha.natta
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to encrypt and decrypt a file in datastage

Post by partha.natta »

I need to decrypt some files in datastage which are coming as encrypted from the source system and also after generation of new files and sending them to other location I need to encrypt them again and then need to send. Can anyone help me how can I achieve it in datastage in windows environment.
Thanks & Regards,
Partha
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Partha, you said your input from source system is encrypted. If you want to decrypt them, you need the encryption/decryption software(/code) used by the source system. Once you have access to it, you can try to execute the same from DataStage to decrypt and encrypt whenever needed.

For e.g., if the encryption/decryption code is java based, then you can execute (call) the same in DataStage using Java stages and achieve what you want.
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by partha.natta »

Could you please provide the detail information regarding this?
We are using windows platform and to achieve it what are the steps we need to follow, once we install the software what stage we need to use to develop the same.
Thanks & Regards,
Partha
pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pandeesh »

Partha,
Please tell, how the source file has been encrypted.
Using which alogorithm ?
Unless that's revealed, we can't proceed for decryption.
pandeeswaran
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

pandeesh wrote:Partha,
Please tell, how the source file has been encrypted.
Using which alogorithm ?
Unless that's revealed, we can't proceed for decryption.
Of course we can! The answer is "with the same software".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Partha, Kandy has given you the complete answer already. You have not yet given sufficient details in order for anyone to provide you with a more detailed resolution.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
partha.natta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by partha.natta »

The requirement is like this. We shall receive files from different source systems as encrypted (key protected). It can be multiple files combined in a single encrypted folder or individually encrypted file. We need to decrypt them (file and folder both in our environment through datastage and then do all kind of transformation to generate the output file.
Once we generate the output file we need to encrypt them before sending them to other location. So how can we implement the same in datastage.
Thanks & Regards,
Partha
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why "through datastage"?

Who's idea was that?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pandeesh »

You can , in a before/after job subroutine using ExecDOS by calling a batch script.
In the batch script you need to implement all those decryption mechanisms.
pandeeswaran
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Partha, is this an ACTUAL requirement or evaluation of tool or doing any POC?
Kandy

Post by ray.wurlod »

None of that helps really. The new feature is really about enabling you to encrypt passwords for use on command lines or in authentication files.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

You have many possible options but still only you have access to the information that is key to answering your question, such as the name of the encryption software and the exe file you would call from DataStage to use it.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius