Copy stage active or passive?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

In reality, does it matter? The formal terms "passive" and "active" have deep roots in Server.....and were later applied to EE Stages based on a variety of properties and behaviors. I'm not convinced that the definitions have much meaning (nor should they) as they did in the past. Certain constructs in Server still depend on whether a Stage is active or passive....are there such dependencies in EE? Maybe we need entirely new definitions....or maybe just concern ourselves with what the Stage "does". :)

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Interesting (?) historical fact: version 1.0 of the ORABULK stage was written as an active stage (even though data-source-facing stages were meant to be passive) so that it could support before/after subroutines; one could employ an after-stage subroutine to use ExecSH (or ExecDOS) to invoke sqlldr, because the stage did not have any automatic mechanism for doing so.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The Copy stage is still marked as Active on my 8.5 server, although it sounds like its role is passive.

From the Server Job Developer's Guide:
... How does the server engine define a process? It is here that the distinction between active and passive stages becomes important. Actives stages, such as the Transformer and Aggregator, perform processing tasks, while passive stages, such as the Sequential File stage and Hashed File stage, are reading or writing data sources and provide services to the active stages. ...
Are "active" and "passive" defined anywhere else?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
atulgoel
Participant

Post by atulgoel »

Its a Passive stage as it does not modify the data. It can only change the metadata not the actual data.
Atul
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Are you saying the Copy stage type property is indeed marked as Passive in your repository? I doubt my server is the only one where it's marked as Active.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

See how silly this conversation is? Copy is an EE Stage, and the history of the definitions we're discussing is based on "Server" jobs and stages. I'm sure that Lee could chime in and give us the old rules about things like implied transformers and such, but again...the significance isn't there, except for rare circumstances like how and when and why to use things like IP stages in Server Jobs....but even there, the compiler will tell you if you are using them incorrectly.....

:)

(my two cents).
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Yeah it is silly. My point earlier also was where and how are these terms defined for parallel stages, as it's covered in the server job guide and not in the PX job guide.