Fixed width file metadata

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mekrreddy
Participant

Fixed width file metadata

Post by mekrreddy »

Hi,

I have to read a fixed width file with some 800 fileds, But we only use 5 fileds in our DataStage job. I was wondering if it is possible to read only those 5 fields from my input file? If we can not read only 5 fields, Can I import the metadata from fixed width file? Please advise.

Thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You have to read past all the fields, for such is the nature of sequential file access, but you can set the "drop on import" property for those that you do not require in the job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mekrreddy
Participant

Post by mekrreddy »

Thanks for the response ray, You are saying we can import metadata from fixed width file.. Can you please tell which option I should select while importing.. I tried seq file definitions did not work.
Thanks again..
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That would be the proper choice, what "did not work" about it?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check "fixed width format" check box on the Format tab, then supply a delimited list (spaces or commas) of the column widths in the column widths field.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.