Comparing two tables with same metadata

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ukyrvd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Comparing two tables with same metadata

Post by ukyrvd »

Hi Everyone

We are trying to compare two tables with same structure from different schemas. We have about 300 tables in both schemas. Instead of developing separate jobs, we want to build a single common job with run time column propagation on and loop the table names through the sequencer.

I have built a parallel job,

Oracle connector stage from both the schemas as input - Difference stage - Target table (differences are loaded)

The challenge I am facing here is configuring the difference stage, Difference stage is expecting key column and if create a single job how can I update the key column dynamically in difference stage (as key column varies from table to table)?

Or do I need to use any other stage so that I can reuse the same common job? Please suggest any best possible solution to achieve this.

Thank you all in advance
thank you
- prasad
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You're going to need to sort the data (a requirement for the Difference stage), so you will need to name at least the sort key columns.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ukyrvd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ukyrvd »

Thanks for your reply Ray.

Is there any other stage that i can use to escape the key column ?

Thanks again
thank you
- prasad
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What do you mean by "escape" the key column?

The only non-custom stage of which I'm aware that can use a parameter as an input column name is the Modify stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Would it work if you defined a dummy key column with value=1 for every row?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

You could use modify stages which simply rename a parameterized key column to a common name:

DIFF_KEY_COLUMN = #MY_KEY_COLUMN#

Then sort on DIFF_KEY_COLUMN and compare
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

Use a Diff-operator in a generic-stage.

In addition, You will have to use preceding hash- and tsort-operators to sort data correctly and handle partitioning for multiple nodes.

Use the same (parameterized) key-settings for hash, tsort and diff-operators. Find additional parameterization options for the operators in the Parallel Job Advanced Developer's Guide.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon
ukyrvd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ukyrvd »

Thank you all for your suggestions. It worked as you all suggested, in the Difference stage i have parametrized the key column and i am passing the value from a file through a perl script.

Thanks all again
thank you
- prasad
ukyrvd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ukyrvd »

Hi All

Sorry for coming back again! The solution was working fine if we have one primary key. But we have some tables with composite key. In that case how can I pass multiple keys to Difference stage ?

Please advice.

Thank you all
thank you
- prasad