Deletion of Files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

NH
Participant

Deletion of Files

Post by NH »

Hi,

We currently have an issue where datastage can create files on the windows server but is not able to delete them. This has been shown where we can not overwrite datasets or surrogate key files. When a dataset stage is used with the overwrite option the job works the first time round then fails and the header file is marked as .being_deleted eg D_CLUSTER_ANSWERS_LIKELIHOOD_DATA.ds.being_deleted.

We have also tried running the orchadmin command to delete a dataset from a sequence but with no success the return from the command gives the appearqance it has worked but the dataset remains.

Another symptom we have is that if we try to use the Dataset Management Tool it crashes most of the time and leaves a process running on the server that took 8% of the CPU. We had an occassion where 12 of these were hanging on the server and we had to kill them to get the sever back.

The operating system user that is used has admin rights and is also a member of the administrators group.

I've changed the permissions of the directory that holds the datasets scratch disk and physical datasets so that everyone has access, ( getting desperate). Still no luck.

We have a PMR raised with IBM for about 3 weeks now and the standard response we have is can you send us logs etc we've sent these to them for previous PMR's but still a new set is required.

I'm currently not sure if the installation was a full success any method of validating it?

Does Windows Server 2008 have some kind of security policy that is affecting the permissions of files as written via the datastage application?

I'm starting to think we should ditch windows server 2008 and go to linux but apparently windows server 2008 is a preferred platform.

If anyone has a tip list for Infosphere on Windows Server 2008 we'd be very grateful. Anybody know how to get datastage to delete files it creates I'd have a happy xmas indeed.

Thanks
Nick
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does the user have the "log in as a batch job" right?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
singhald
Participant

Post by singhald »

verify your jobs and check if you are creating same dataset by using two different job on same time.

may be you can restart your job, it should fix your issue.

some time this errror comes when one job is trying to create dataset and other job is also same time trying to create it and before creation it basically delete exiting file and re-create.

Thanks
Regards,
Deepak Singhal
Everything is okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end.
NH
Participant

Post by NH »

Hi,

Thanks Ray the user didnt have the permission to log in as a batch job and my colleague has granted the user that role. I'm currently away from work at the moment so I'm unable to tell if this has resolved the issue with the files not being deleted. My colleague did say they tried the Data set management tool and it still crashes and has to be killed on the server.

As this role wasnt set up are there any others that we should be aware of, we had an "expert" in to do the installation but now I'm wondering...

Hi Singhald we tried to delete datasets while no other process was running using the same user that created the dataset, I even checked the physical dataset name to make sure. In regard to the job with the dataset marked to overwrite I even changed the name of the dataset to make it unique the issue remained. Thanks for the ideas any others?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No other tricky rights of which I'm aware, but you do, as always, need appropriate permissions to do things. To delete a Data Set, for example, you need permissions to delete the segment files, to delete the descriptor file and (as part of that) to modify their parent folders.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Windows 2003 Server, I think 2008 Sever as well, uses different security policies to other Windows platforms.
Did your Administrator set the following access and permissions for you?

For Non-Domain Controller:
1. Allow Log on Locally
2. Create Groups
3. Add Users
4. Set Permissions (check Modfiy and Write checkboxes in Allow column) on DataStage Folder, e.g. C:\IBM\DataStage.