EBCDIC files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vskr72
Premium Member
Premium Member

EBCDIC files

Post by vskr72 »

I have few source files which are EBCDIC files. I need to load them into an Oracle DB. This is the first time that I am dealing with these files.

Can I use datastage to directly read the data file and define the columns when it reads it or I need a defenition file for it like a copy book. I don think we ever got a defn file from the source people. Can any one advice? Appreciate your help.

Kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes. You have a "read as EBCDIC" property in the Sequential File stage, or you can use the Complex Flat File stage for files with complex structures, such as repeating groups or multiple record types.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vskr72
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vskr72 »

Ray - THank you for your reply. I have few other Q's also.

- I did finally called the src prople and got the defn file and imported using Import Cobol defn. That went fine. But when I drop the drop the CFF stage and import metadata and then view the data, I see all weird characters like ???, 000 etc. Not able to see actual data
- Id there any config that we need to specify in the CFF stage
- I am trying to dump it into a flat file and I see all blanks and 0. This CFF stage is so confusing.
- the defn have some feilds like PIC S9(3) COMP-3 and PIC S9(13)V00 COMP-3

Can you pls help me here or direct me to some helpful links. Thank you so much.

Kumar