RCP with column names (No schema file)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jaysheel
Participant

RCP with column names (No schema file)

Post by jaysheel »

Hi all,

I have a requirement where I need to convert around 300 datasets into sequential files. And I am told not to do this with ORCHADMIN command because it runs on the head node. So I have decided to create a multi instance job for this. Now the pain is I dont want to write a schema file with 300 metadata information in it. So I have created a job to create a sequential file from a dataset with RCP enabled. I am passing the dataset name and the sequential file name as run time parameters through unix script.

My question is , I am not able to get the column names here since I have not defined any metadata. Is there anyway I can achieve this without having to write a huge number of metadata information? Any Environment varialbles ?

Thanks in advance...
- Jaysheel -
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

But you can save the table definitions from DataStage into schema files - you don't actually have to "write" them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jaysheel
Participant

Post by jaysheel »

Thanks Ray,

Did you mean that I can copy the descriptor file definition from the Dataset management Utility and use it for schema file ?
- Jaysheel -
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've never done it that way.

Right click in the associated table definition, and you get Save As presented as a menu option.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jaysheel
Participant

Post by jaysheel »

There are around 250 datasets. I was thinking of some shortcuts to do this :) So thought of going for the RCP. I managed to keep it to one job. I guess I need to get the column names from the schema files then. Thanks Ray.
- Jaysheel -
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Hey, it may work. Try it and see. Let us know.