operator combination

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsscholar
Premium Member
Premium Member

operator combination

Post by dsscholar »

Where can i enable operator combination in datastage?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It should be enabled by default. What makes you think it isn't?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsscholar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsscholar »

Thanks ray. Let me rephrase the question. I want to know where can i enable or disable that option. I got to know that if i use many lookups continuously for each reference table and if i enable operator combination option, all those will be combined and treated as one.

If i disable it, i will get the performance benefit using pipelining concept but no of lookup stages increases.

So performance remains the same for both the cases itseems. If operator combination is enabled by default, whats the use of separate lookups, because we use it separately in case of huge data in reference tables. lookup operates with the help of memory. And by default its entire partitioning. What if memory gets occupied to process one reference table itself. We go for separate lookups.

But op combination makes it one. So lookup will fail because of "out of memory"?

Just wanted to check by disabling and enabling that option. So asked for where it is.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Like most everything else in PX Land, there is an APT variable to control that: add APT_DISABLE_COMBINATION to your mapping and set it to True.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The ability to be combinable can be set in individual stages on the Advanced tab. Global operator combination can, as Craig notes, be set using the appropriate environment variable, which I always add to parallel jobs as a parameter.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsscholar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsscholar »

Thanks chulett and ray.

Hi all,

My query has some other clarifications like "out of memory". Any details on that.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Definitely "maybe". There are too many other factors. Disabling operator combination is primarily to address systems that are CPU bound (processors being asked to do too much work because two many operators have been combined into one). But it's fair to say that this could also lead to an "out of memory" problem. I'd be looking elsewhere for the out of memory issue, though, particularly at memory-hungry stage types such as Lookup or hash mode Aggregator. Read the entire error message to determine from which stage (operator) the error was thrown.