How to Load PeopleSoft Enterprise Application

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PSingh
Participant

How to Load PeopleSoft Enterprise Application

Post by PSingh »

Hi,
I came to know that DataStage PACK for PeopleSoft is to only extract data from PeopleSoft tree & tables. So, could any one guide me how to load the PeopleSoft?
Is there any best practices to integrate IBM maximo with PeopleSoft ? It's bi-directional data flow.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
PSingh
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

It's not a straight forward answer. The version of DataStage that comes with PeopleSoft is Server Edition 7.5.x. You may find the PeopleSoft Pack helps you read and write to PeopleSoft - the metadata browser may tell you what tables and columns to write back to, although using DataStage to write into PeopleSoft tables is risky.

PeopleSoft and Maximo both have a safer API layer using web services since this makes sure the data in both directions goes through business layer validation. If you want to use DataStage for this you will need to buy the SOA Pack and upgrade it so DataStage jobs can be turned into an SOA job or web service job. DataStage could then do the mapping between Maximo and PeopleSoft and retrieve and write the data as XML objects.

Other ways to get data into PeopleSoft and Maximo are to create CSV files for import or write to staging tables and use upload routines that are already in PeopleSoft and Maximo. This method would let you use your existing DataStage server.
PSingh
Participant

Post by PSingh »

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I think 1st & 2nd approach suggested by you is applicable in DS Server jobs and 3rd approach is for DS Parallel jobs and 2nd approach is for suitable for real-time integration.
Could you please give me some more information around 2nd & 3rd approach ? If I understand you correctly, in 2nd approach either DataStage SOA or DataStage Web Service PACK could be used.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... not sure about the 'risky' part but I guess that might depend on the PeopleSoft people who are providing you guidance. We didn't have an "packs" installed, our PeopleSoft targets were just plain old Oracle tables and I don't recall having any issues populating them just like any other Oracle target.

Granted, this was some time ago but I can't imagine what's under the covers of a PeopleSoft system would have changed all that much. [shrug]
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers