is it possible to make some job parameters mandadatory ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

is it possible to make some job parameters mandadatory ?

Post by mctny »

Hi All,

I was wondering if it is possible to make some or all of the job (sequence) parameters mandatory to fill it in, otherwise the job should not proceed, ( abort as soon as it runs). The reason I need this, our QA testers are testing the jobs by clearing out some of the default parameters and see what happens when it runs. I know it is kind of not a good test case but they have it.

They want it the job ( sequences) should abort as soon as possible when those parameters not filled in. I have a lot of parameters so I was wondering if there is an easy way to do these checks?

I appreciate all the potential responses.

Thanks,
Chad
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mctny »

thanks Franklin,

ok you convinced me that it is an important concern, but I did not really understand the solution. All I think is to put Nested condition stage to the beginning of a sequence as a first stage and check the parameters if there are empty or not and go from there.

any other ideas?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Empty parameter value should be invalid - and prevent a job from running - for all parameter types except String and Encrypted.

You can check for job parameter values in a before-job subroutine and immediately abort the job (by setting ErrorCode) if any is invalid, if that is a requirement.

If it wasn't originally a requirement, then it's a change and billable time. :wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Blank or empty parameters can be run in Director. It seems to run fine. In a sequence it seems to fail. The before job routine works well. The server jobs allow you to do this in control code.
Mamu Kim