APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Null string argument

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Marley777
Premium Member
Premium Member

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Null string argument

Post by Marley777 »

Hi, thanks for reading. Transformer stage is giving this error.

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Null string argument. [transform/tfmop_functions.C:1071]

Here is our logic

2 stage variables

logic for svAddr1Null - If IsNull(Policy_Info_In.CO_ADR1) Then 1 Else 0

logic for svChkAddr1Null - If svAddr1Null = 0 Then (If Num(Left(Policy_Info_In.CO_ADR1,2)) Then 1 Else -1) Else -1

if we remove svChkAddr1Null we don't get the warning. The logic is doing exactly what we want, but we need to get rid of the warnings. I know we can use a message handler, but wanting to know if there is another way to get rid of the warning? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Ravi.K
Participant

Re: APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Null string argument

Post by Ravi.K »

Try with below derivation.

svChkAddr1Null - If svAddr1Null = 0 Then (If Num(Left(Trim(Policy_Info_In.CO_ADR1),2)) Then 1 Else -1) Else -1
Cheers
Ravi K
Marley777
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Marley777 »

Tried the logic that was posted, but still get the warning.... :?
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Null string argument

Post by jwiles »

Marley777 wrote:
APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Null string argument. [transform/tfmop_functions.C:1071]

logic for svAddr1Null - If IsNull(Policy_Info_In.CO_ADR1) Then 1 Else 0

logic for svChkAddr1Null - If svAddr1Null = 0 Then (If Num(Left(Policy_Info_In.CO_ADR1,2)) Then 1 Else -1) Else -1

if we remove svChkAddr1Null we don't get the warning. The logic is doing exactly what we want, but we need to get rid of the warnings. I know we can use a message handler, but wanting to know if there is another way to get rid of the warning? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Could CO_ADR1 contain an empty string (not flagged as null but not containing data)? Check for an empty string as part of the Null logic for svAddr1Null: if IsNull(Policy_Info_In.CO_ADR1) then 1 else if Len(Trim(Policy_Info_In.CO_ADR1) then 1 else 0
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

I have the same issue and I found that the Num() function in the stage variable creates this error. If I take that out, the job runs fine. Anybody have a solution or work around for this?
Arun
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Instead of piggy-backing on someone else's post, please create your own and reference the original post with a link. While your situation may be very similar, it is also unique to some degree and may warrant a slightly different solution.

Have you tried the solution posted in the original thread? Num() gives this error when the supplied column is empty or null, therefore appropriate empty/null handling should be performed.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.