SQL server load performance issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsscholar
Premium Member
Premium Member

SQL server load performance issue

Post by dsscholar »

HI ,
My job is trying to load around 20M records to SQL server. I am using ODBC connector stage to load the sql server table. We do not have SQL server ent stage. It is an insert operation only. Even though job's load performance is very low. It gave maximum 3000 records per sec for insert. Please let me know how can I improve the performance of the job for loading.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Oh come on! Look at all the layers between DataStage (on UNIX) and SQL Server (on Windows). You shouldn't be at all surprised. Manage expectations better.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: SQL server load performance issue

Post by SURA »

Try to load the data from a Dataset to SQL Server in another job. Just a try.

DS User
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Write to a text file or FTP, get BCP to load the data on the Windows machine.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsscholar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsscholar »

Thanks Ray and Sura, I will try both and let you know what is the result. Anyways I do not have idea about BCP. I have to search for that utility/function.
dsscholar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsscholar »

i have tried loading with dataset but performance is still same (1900 rows/sec). We have discussed for BCP but there is storage memory issue so we can't choose that option. Is there any other way to boost the loading?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Get more storage. BCP (the bulk loader for SQL Server) does not require any permanent storage, but does require temporary storage for the data file.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Otherwise it's standard things to look at for any load - commit intervals, indexes, array size, etc etc. Nothing is going to beat a native bulk loader, however.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers