Oracle enterprise stage.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kennyapril
Participant

Oracle enterprise stage.

Post by kennyapril »

I am using oracle enterprise stage to load the tables(to insert new records and update the old records)
The properties I used in the target are
Insert SQL=insert into table name (column1,column2...)
table= tablename
UpdateSQL=Update tablename set column1=orchestratecolumn1......
upsertmode=auto generated update and insert
upsertorder=Insert then update
Write method=Upsert

First time when I run the job the records loaded are 30000, second time also same 30000 records get inserted

Please let me know the settings required so that only the new records insert and old ones update.
Regards,
Kenny
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No setting here - the first action must fail for the second to happen, so you'll need a unique index over your key(s) to keep the duplicate inserts from happening.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

You didn't mention any errors regarding constraint violations on primary keys, so I'm guessing that there is no key defined and/or no unique constraint on key values.

There are at least a few options:

1) Set the order to Update then Insert. The SQL will need some WHERE clause to properly identify the row to be updated, or at least flag the Key columns in your metadata grid. The same requirement as Craig mentions above is true here: the Update must fail in order for the Insert to happen.
2) Identify the rows to be updated within DataStage and send them to an OracleEE stage which performs only Updates (or Update the Insert), send the remaining rows (new records) to an OracleEE stage which performs only Inserts. You may need to use separate jobs to perform the actual inserts and updates.
3) Completely rebuild the table each time: Pull the table into DataStage, update the data within DataStage, then load the resulting data back to the database.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
kennyapril
Participant

Post by kennyapril »

Thanks for the Information.

Primary key was not defined earlier , now its defined.

If its only insert for a table then Do I need to use insert statement in the update also..as there is no insert only?
Regards,
Kenny
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

If your data is properly identified and separated as update vs insert, the insert statement in the Update First option will never be called so it won't really matter.

One common scenario is to use the Load method of Insert (new) rows and Upsert (Update then Insert) method for the updating rows. You would probably want separate update and insert/load jobs in this scenario.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

For insert only, the trick (I believe) is to use the "User-defined Update Only" option and then make your actual user-defined SQL an insert statement.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kennyapril
Participant

Post by kennyapril »

Thanks Chulett.

I will follow the same for insert only as below and I assume that is the same for update only also just change in the user defined update statement.
Regards,
Kenny