Can DataStage connect to a J2EE Engine?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jagadam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Can DataStage connect to a J2EE Engine?

Post by jagadam »

how can Datastage connection to the Portal to extract data from SAP portal information. It is a web-portal from where certain data is of the project's interest for mapping business logic.

While I asked them if there is a back-end Database to the portal, DataStage can connect via DB connectors and extract data, I was asked by the portal owner if and how 'Datastage connects to a J2EE Engine'.

Please shed some light on this..
NJ
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have the Java PACK ?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jagadam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jagadam »

I see a Java Client and a Java Transformer Under Real Time, but nothing related to Java Pack under Packs in the Palette.
Is this for purchase or can be requested from IBM?
NJ
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

For V8.x, your Java Client and Java Transformer = Java PACK (earlier versions named these two stages as Java PACK).

Please clarify what you mean by "J2EE Engine"?
jagadam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jagadam »

I have no clarity on what the customer mentioned by 'Can/How Datastage connect to a J2EE Engine'

If I have to use the Java Pack to extract data from Portal, what is it that I need to be aware of and what is the pre-requisite.

Please shed some light on this.
NJ
jagadam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jagadam »

Any help on this one please?

Does the Java Client and Java Transformer has the ability to extract data from a portal(J2EE)? I looked through the documentation and it looks like a real time stage(pass something to it, using this value, the Plug-in will fetch a matching record from the source) but if my requirement is to extract all the information like a (select a,b,c from tableD), is this the right stage/pack to use?

Thanks
NJ
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

No, both stages have no way to extract the data from a Portal. You are picking the wrong tool to deal with the Portal.
jagadam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jagadam »

Is there a turn around solution or a mitigation for this. I can request for a file feed from the Portal team, but I am trying to reduce the handshake between systems.

Thanks
NJ
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

From what little I've read, a "J2EE Engine" supports ODBC access. You may end up needing to purchase the drivers needed but I would think you could go that route.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jagadam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jagadam »

Is Web Services Transformer stage an option here?
NJ