datastage job creating mainframe dataset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

veerabusani185512
Participant

datastage job creating mainframe dataset

Post by veerabusani185512 »

Hello All,
Iam new in handling mainframe datasets.For extracting data from mainframe datsets from mainframes environment we are using ZOS file stage with CFF stage sample job design is as below

Zos Stage -->CFF Stage -->> then processing logic --> final target(Sequential or dataset or tables)

We have a requirement to load data into Mianframe dataset instead of sequential files
so according to above job design can the final target stages should be

CFF stage--> Zos stage
or
only CFF Stage

when I tried using CFF stage--> Zos stage job is not able to create dataset in mainframe.When I used the second option(only CFF Stage) Iam able to create dataset but only in UNIX environment where datastage is installed. there is FTP option but it is not feasible for us.Is there any other way to create mainframes dataset directly in mainframes environment.

Thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, any kind of file that gets created gets created 'locally' on the DataStage server. Can you do any kind of an 'nfs mount' between the two systems? Do you have the 390 Edition of DS? That version might be able to since it creates COBOL jobs rather than what we all think of as traditional 'DataStage jobs'.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
veerabusani185512
Participant

Post by veerabusani185512 »

Hi Criag,

We have not installed 390 edition of DS.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then you'll need to find a way to move/copy the 'dataset' you are creating on the DS server over to the mainframe. Either that or, as I noted, some kind of NFS mount... if such a thing can be supported in your environment.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

I'm surprised that a multi-platform environment considers FTP "not feasible". From what I've seen (not a lot, I should admit) FTP is the cheapest and most stable option for moving files to and from z/OS and Unix. Sometimes "We can't do that" becomes a grudging "Okay, we'll do it" when they examine the alternatives.

I've never heard of a "z/OS stage", but we don't have 8x yet here. I'll look into it and if something catches my attention, I'll share it here.

Good luck.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... sfile.html

According to that page, if you can read from z/OS to Unix with the Zos file stage, you should be able to write to it. You might have a problem with something other than your DataStage job.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872