FTP Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

madhusds
Premium Member
Premium Member

FTP Stage

Post by madhusds »

Hi,

In our ETL job design we need to FTP the files from DataStage server to the Mainframe. Could any one can suggest me the best approch:

1: Use FTP stage
2: Use Unix Script

If FTP stage is the answer i have 2 FTP stages in Datastage 7.5 Verssion, 1: FTP Plug in Stage 2: FTP Enterprise Stage

Could any one suggest me with the best solution.

:idea:
Thanks
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

The choice between a stage and Unix script is simple: Do you care that you have to land a file on the DS server before transferring it to the mainframe?

In general, I don't want extra files that I have to clean up later. That's part personal and part technical (leaving files can be a security risk). It's also just less coding, and I can clone existing jobs for new ones very easily.

Both work fine. I prefer FTP Enterprise in my environment, you might want to use the plug-in instead, but as I recall the plug-in gives you better access to the details of the FTP session where Enterprise does not but seems to be more stable and faster. You have to explore both given your operating environments.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
madhusds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by madhusds »

Franklin,

Thank You Much.

Yes we need files (copy) in DS server before transferring to MF, now I got an idea about FTP stages.

This is the first time I am working with FTP stage I will try with both (FTP Enterprise and FTP Plug in) stages as you suggested

I appreciate you help.
Thanks