Archival of Table from ODS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

harish841913
Participant

Archival of Table from ODS

Post by harish841913 »

HI i want to archive the data from ods for 2 years how can i achive this purpose?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm curious... how many times are you going to post this rather nebulous "business requirement"?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use Optim.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
harish841913
Participant

Post by harish841913 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Use Optim. ...
But here i have to use unix script it seems and how this process is like i have to extract data from extract feeds and load it into ODS and than i have to create archive database of those repositories in ODS using archival script

Is this approach right
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You are unqualified to fulfill this requirement and you should pass it on to someone who is. The fact that you cannot describe what you are trying to do is ringing alarm bells. I don't know if you are archiving two years of data, or archiving data for the next two years, or archiving data that is more than two years old.

Describing archiving as running a "script" is another alarm bell. That is woefully inadequate for a data archiving solution. Archiving requires all the normal phases of information development - requirements, analysis, design, build and test. Have a look at how the MIKE2.0 methodology describes this process: http://mike2.openmethodology.org/wiki/I ... n_Offering.

If you are indeed removing data from an Operational Data Store you need a functional requirements document - what data needs to be archived? Does archived data needs to be available in lower tier storage? Is there anything currently using that data? How to you maintain the referential integrity of the database? How do you remove the data and then delete it? How do you automate the process so it can be repeated at regular intervals? How do you perform system integration testing to ensure you haven't broken anything once the archive is executed? etc.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Who said you have to use UNIX script? That information was not part of your original question!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.