How to handle nullable columns in a reject link

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bamaxplant
Participant

How to handle nullable columns in a reject link

Post by bamaxplant »

Do you have any suggestions on how to handle nullable columns when the sequential file is a reject link? In that case, you don't have the option to handle nulls when you edit the row for the column. We have a large number of jobs with this situation, and a large number of columns in most of the related transformers, so options like putting a transformer or modify between the rejecting stage and the reject SF would be a pretty huge effort.

We had a suggestion to change the link from a reject to an 'otherwise', but we do have some situations where we generate output rows for every input row (I'm coding on one right now), so it seem that wouldn't work; and the situation is really errors that should cause the row to reject, like an error in a derivation on one of the output links.

Thanks for any ideas.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Un-hijacked.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
singhald
Participant

Post by singhald »

I believe , when you add reject link to sequential stage, you cann't handle null as it takes entire record as a single field "Rejected" (var binary notnull) you dont need to handle null here.

let me know if that is not a case
Regards,
Deepak Singhal
Everything is okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end.
bamaxplant
Participant

Post by bamaxplant »

Yes, that is the case for SF stages. Sorry I wasn't clear, these rejects are on transformer stages.
chandra.shekhar@tcs.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chandra.shekhar@tcs.com »

is your reject target a seq File?
Thanx and Regards,
ETL User
bamaxplant
Participant

Post by bamaxplant »

yes - it is, but we could put something in between or use some other stage if it would help resolve this issue - we need to have rejects end up somewhere where we can look at them.
bamaxplant
Participant

Post by bamaxplant »

D'oh. Mea culpa - problem was changing the input link metadata without updating the reject link - previous input had nullable columns but new link did not, so all the columns on the reject remained nullable until I deleted and re-added the stage. Then it got the new metadata. :oops: