Error : Null handling done on not nullable column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srinivas.nettalam
Participant

Error : Null handling done on not nullable column

Post by srinivas.nettalam »

I have a lookup stage and I am pulling a flag that has value 'Y', from the reference and checking for NULLs for that field in the constraint of the transformer following lookup.
I am using IsNull(Flag) in the constraint.I am getting the error "Null Handling done on not nullable field" but in the output link of lookup stage that Flag column is set to NULL (yes).
Please suggest on this
N.Srinivas
India.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Defined as not nullable on the reference input to the Lookup stage?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srinivas.nettalam
Participant

ray.wurlod wrote:Defined as not nullable on the reference input to the Lookup stage? ...
Yes Ray,but I wonder how does it matter to transformer..?? :?
N.Srinivas
India.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you are on a version earlier than 8.5 it matters hugely to the Transformer stage - all functions in the Transformer stage other than the null-handling functions are intolerant of null.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srinivas.nettalam
Participant

ray.wurlod wrote:If you are on a version earlier than 8.5 it matters hugely to the Transformer stage - all functions in the Transformer stage other than the null-handling functions are intolerant of null. ...
I am confused, as I have been thinking that tranformer checks the field for nulls only on the output link of lookup/transformer's input link but I don't know that transformer checks for the input link of lookup stage as well.
N.Srinivas
India.
greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by greggknight »

First I am assuming that you are checking for nulls to determine if the lookup stage did not find a match.
If thats the case then put an output file off from the lookup stage and set the properties so that if a match is not found the record goes there otherwise the record goes through with the flag as 'Y'

Avoid transformation stages unless you really need to use them. They are the most costly object in PX as far as resources .......
"Don't let the bull between you and the fence"

Thanks
Gregg J Knight

"Never Never Never Quit"
Winston Churchill
chandra.shekhar@tcs.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chandra.shekhar@tcs.com »

Whats ur target stage?
Seq File or Database
Thanx and Regards,
ETL User
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Ur is an ancient middle-eastern city and currently has no target. The target stage is irrelevant to the problem at hand.

The transformer is not checking the nullability of the column on the input to the lookup stage...it is incapable of doing that.

More than likely, what is happening is the non-nullability of the column is being retained on output from the lookup stage. Make the flag column nullable on the input link to the transformer. You may need to insert a modify stage before the lookup with the make_null function to ensure that the nullable property is correctly set. For example:

Code: Select all

Flag = make_null(Flag,'N')
Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

jwiles wrote:Ur is an ancient middle-eastern city
Ray... is that you? :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Oh no...don't tell me I'm channeling him! :shock:
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:lol: