Concept question: Use of Parameter Sets from Connection Def.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Concept question: Use of Parameter Sets from Connection Def.

Post by MT »

Hi,

working with DS 8.5 I do not see/understand the concept of defining a Parameter Set from a existing Data(base) Connection definition.

I know connection definitions and I know Parameter Sets - but what is the use and intention of being able to associate / create a parameter set from a connection definition (with the Associate Parameter Set window part of the Parameter tab in Data Connection)?

Also it is not possible to use an existing parameter set or to extend the created one with additional variables. Without knowing the real background for doing this I can not judge wether it can be useful for our environment or even if it is buggy the way it behaves.

I searched the internet and the DS docs of cause but I could not find any backgroud for that - so if anyone knows where I can find the motivation and background for such a feature it would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for any help
regards

Michael
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not buggy but it is limited in only allowing you parameters for the properties on the Connection portion of the Connector stage properties.

It would be nice if you could add other parameters but, for now, that's not possible.

My current practice therefore is to have two parameter sets, one linked to the Data Connection and the other with everything else I need for the connection, such as schema (owner) name.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi Ray,

thanks for answering
but what is the use of the parameter sets defined out of the data definition once you defined it.
What do you do with them?

I tried to map them to the global settings ($PROJDEF) without success.

This is why I ask about the idea or concept behind it....

Thanks in advance
regards

Michael
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That you'd have to ask the designers. You can meet some of them at the Information on Demand conference in October.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi Ray,

oh you think there are designers or architects responsible for this?Sometimes I doubt that a little - but I trust you :)

Thanks again - it is a little solace that I might not be the only one who does not understand this concept...

I hope I meet some at the European IM Technical Conference in July...

best regards
Michael
regards

Michael