To read Lotus notes email attachment as input

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

developeretl
Participant

To read Lotus notes email attachment as input

Post by developeretl »

Hi All,
I want to read the email attachment based on the naming standad and as per current date or specified date ,start executing the job if there is a attachment. Job has to check the email and attachment from Lotus Notes server . Can you please guide me how to do it?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm not sure just how possible that would be, especially when complicated by having to 'check the email' and the attachment as well. Have you done any searching here? An exact search for 'Lotus Notes' turned up 35 other topics, something there might help at least get you started.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
developeretl
Participant

Post by developeretl »

Thanks for the reply. I have found few topics but there is no topic which can answer my requirement.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, to be fair I did say 'get you started' rather than solve your problem. :wink:

Have you posed this question to your official support provider? See what suggestions they have?
-craig

developeretl
Participant

Post by developeretl »

chulett wrote:Well, to be fair I did say 'get you started' rather than solve your problem. :wink:

Have you posed this question to your official support provider? See what suggestions they have?
Thanks for your reply. Official support provider = IBM ?
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Yeah, IBM owns Lotus. I'll suppress further commentary on that. :twisted:

I see two problems:

Can you be sure the attachment will always be in the correct OS format? Seems to me that Lotus runs under the Windows/DOS environment (unless your shop runs it on Unix?), and files will generally be stored with that overhead in control. Does Lotus handle files in a friendly way?

How will you query the Lotus server? I admit to the thought that it may be a dumb question for me to ask, but network connections between Win/DOS and Unix servers being in the mix makes me nervous. It's just a gut feeling.

My other gut impression is to see if Lotus can automate saving incoming attachments to servers. A file watcher is much easier to code and use than a complex relationship with Lotus Notes, or so it seems to me.

Good luck.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well yes, IBM owns both products but what I meant was whomever your support is contracted out to. It may be direct with IBM or may be via a third party, you'd need to check with your company if you're not sure.
-craig