Good ol' sequential file stage warning with a twist!!!!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abhilashnair
Participant

Good ol' sequential file stage warning with a twist!!!!

Post by abhilashnair »

Parallel job joining two tables using Join Stage. Data loaded into target ODBC which has a reject link. The rejects are being captured in sequential file.

Preserve Partitioning is cleared in ODBC. Input Partitioning is Round Robin in Sequential Stage...Getting warning

"When checking operator: A sequential operator cannot preserve the partitioning of the parallel data set on input port 0"

I did an exact search and tried all the workarounds. Even cleared the partitioning in the transformer stage preceding the ODBC stage, but to no avail. Pls Help
Ravi.K
Participant

Post by Ravi.K »

Check at Sequential file stage (Reject link) Preserve Partitioning, Is it Clear or Set. if it is set then make it to clear and try.
Cheers
Ravi K
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

Ravi.K wrote:Check at Sequential file stage (Reject link) Preserve Partitioning, Is it Clear or Set. if it is set then make it to clear and try.
It is clear. As I already mentioned in my above post, the ODBC stage preceding the Seq file stage has Preserve Partitioning as Clear.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

"When checking operator: A sequential operator cannot preserve the partitioning of the parallel data set on input port 0"
The warning is there because an operator running in sequential mode cannot preserve the partitioned output of an operator running in parallel mode. It says so in the warning message! Notice that it didn't say "Sequential File Stage"...it said sequential operator. It is talking about the operating mode of an operator.

Which operator is producing the warning (which ones are running sequentially? The job score can show you) You could specify a collection method for the sequentially running operator, or you can use a message handler to take care of the message.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

Actually the error contains the stage name of the sequential file, I edited it out while pasting here. So it is confirmed that it is the operator for the sequential stage
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Ok. I had the job in another order in my mind (seqfile -> ODBC).

SInce it's on the reject link of the ODBC stage, run the reject to a Copy stage then to the SeqFile stage. Set the Clear Partitioning option on the output of the Copy stage.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

Just curious to know why it is not working with the Clear Partitioning option on the output of ODBC. Why do I need to add another stage just for the sake of it ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

On both outputs of the ODBC stage?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

The ODBC stage has just one reject link. There is no other output
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:oops:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

:?: :cry:
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

Changed the Partitioning in target ODBC to Same. It was hash before. And the warning went away. Still not sure what caused this in the first place. Anyway the issue is resloved now